Tel: 00264 - Click to show number
After Hours: 00264 - Click to show number
Street Address: 43 McHugh Street, Swakopmund, Namibia
No Alternative Contacts available
Fax: 00264 - Click to view
Postal Address: P.O. Box 4306, Swakopmund, Namibia
GPS Coordinates: 22°40'08.5"S 14°31'57.9"E
B-BBEE Levels: Pending
No data available
Swakopmund (German for "Mouth of the Swakop") is a city on the coast of westernNamibia, 280 km (170 mi) west of Windhoek, Namibia's capital. It is the capital of theErongo administrative district. The town has 42,000 inhabitants and covers 193 square kilometres (75 sq mi) of land. The city is situated in the Namib desert.
Swakopmund is a beach resort and an example of German colonial architecture. It was founded in 1892 as the main harbour for German South-West Africa, and a sizable part of its population is still German-speaking today.
Buildings in the city include the Altes Gefängnis prison, designed by Heinrich Bause in 1909. The Woermannhaus, built in 1906 with a prominent tower, is now a public library. Attractions in Swakopmund include a Swakopmund Museum, the National Marine Aquarium, a crystal gallery and spectacular sand dunes near Langstrand south of the Swakop River. Outside of the city, the Rossmund Desert Golf Course is one of only five all-grass desert golf courses in the world. Nearby lies a camel farm and theMartin Luther steam locomotive, dating from 1896 and abandoned in the desert.